Myers, Lewis a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in the vicinity of Indian Fields, Colleton District, S.C. He was of German extraction. He obtained his education in an academy near Washington, Georgia, and became an itinerant preacher in 1799 in South Carolina, preaching on the Little Peedee and Anson Circuit. In 1800 he was appointed to the Orangeburg Circuit. In 1801 he was appointed to the Bush River and Cherokee Circuit, having been ordained deacon by bishop Asbury. In 1802 he was stationed in the Broad River Circuit. In 1803 he was ordained elder, and changed to the Little River Circuit. In 1804 and 1805 he was respectively at Ogeechee and Bladen circuits. In 1806 he was at Charleston. In 1807, 1808, and 1809 he was presiding elder of the Seleuda District; in 1810, 1811, 1812, and 1813, of the Ogeechee District; and in 1814, 1815, 1816, and 1817, of the Oconee District. In 1818 and 1819 he was stationed at Charleston. In 1820, 1821, 1822. and 1823 he was presiding elder of the Edisto District. In 1824 he was stationed at Georgetown. Having labored incessantly for a quarter of a century, he was appointed in 1825 as supernumerary on the Effingham Circuit, a spasmodic asthma rendering him unfit for more active work. He was finally made superannuate, and settled at Goshen, Effingham County, Georgia, where he died, November 16, 1851. From the time of his retirement from active service until his death he was busily engaged with a school, and occasionally preached. Lewis Myers was well known among the Methodists for his wise, pithy, and practical remarks. His style of preaching was direct and forcible, with very little ornament of gesture; his illustrations often bordered on the humorous, from the quaintness with which the subject was represented. See Dr. James Osgood Andrew, in Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, 7:321 sq.