Morrison, Robert E
Morrison, Robert E.
a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, October 12, 1800. When seventeen years of age he united with the Presbyterian Church; but eight years afterwards, being brought into intimate relations with Methodists, he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. He preached under the presiding elder for three years, and in 1833 was received into the Philadelphia Conference, and appointed to Chester Circuit, Pennsylvania, where he labored very acceptably for two years. In 1835 he was appointed to Tuckerton Circuit, N.J. The necessities of the case requiring it, he was removed and appointed to Haddonfield. In 1836-7 he travelled Swedesborough Circuit. Here great success crowned his efforts. In 1838-9 he labored in Pemberton; in 1840-1 in Long Branch; in 1842-3 in Pennington; in 1844-5 in Allentown; and in 1846 at Crosswicks. A throat difficulty compelled him to take a supernumerary relation, and locating at Hightstown, N.J., he became one of its most respected citizens. For a number of years he was president of Hightstown Bank. He died August 30, 1873. Mr. Morrison, being studious, acquired a large store of knowledge, and became a good thinker. Though not a graduate of any literary institution, he read Latin, Greek, and Hebrew, and was quite at home in mathematics. He was also a thorough student of divinity. See Minutes of Annual Conferences, 1874, page 37.