Morrison, John W
Morrison, John W.
a Presbyterian minister, was born in Chester County, South Carolina, in 1811; was educated in the Indiana University, Bloomington, Ind.; studied theology under the late Rev. Hugh MacMillan, of Xenia, Ohio, and was licensed and ordained in 1841, as pastor of the Thorn Grove Presbyterian Church, in Bloom, Cook County, Indiana. This was his only charge. At the close of twenty-five years of pastoral duty he resigned this position to accept the agency in behalf of the freedmen, feeling, as he expressed it, "that the education of that people was the work to which God now calls the Church and the nation." He continued to labor as an agent until he died, January 5, 1867. Mr. Morrison was a man of great integrity, of noble disposition, and of untiring effort in the service of Christ. He was an accurate classical scholar, a critical and profound expositor of Scripture, and an earnest and affectionate preacher. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1868, page 391.