Morris, John G, Dd
Morris, John G., D.D.
an American Lutheran divine of note, was born at York, Pennsylvania, in 1803, and was educated at Dickinson College, Pennsylvania (class of 1823); then studied theology at Princeton Theological Seminary, and in 1826 entered the Lutheran ministry. He was at once called as pastor to the First Lutheran Church in Baltimore, and for six years (1859-65) of another Lutheran Church in the same city. He was the first librarian of the Peabody Institute at Baltimore; he founded a seminary for young ladies at Lutherville, and was active in several other public enterprises. He was editor of the Lutheran Observer from 1831 to 1832, and co-editor of the Year-book of the Reformation (1844). He published several translations of German theological works (1824-26), and wrote himself, Popular Exposition of the Gospels (Balt. 1840, 2 volumes, 8vo): — Life of John Arndt (1853): — The Blind Girl of Wittenberg (1856, 12mo): — Catharine de Bora; or Social and Domestic Scenes in the House of Luther (1856, 12mo), etc. Dr. Morris also gave much time to studies in natural science, especially entomology, and became quite prominent in this field. He was acknowledged as an American authority, and was honored in various ways by the Smithsonian Institute and other associations. See Allibone, Dict. of Brit. and Amer. Authors, s.v.; Putnam's Magazine, Feb. 1856, page 217. (J.H.W.)