Moore, James G
Moore, James G.
a Presbyterian minister, was born near Johnsonburg, N.J., November 30, 1813. At the age of eleven years he was apprenticed to a tailor in Newton, N.J.; during his apprenticeship was converted, and, through the influence of his pastor, was persuaded to turn his attention to the ministry. He graduated at Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania; studied theology at Princeton, N.J.; was licensed and ordained pastor of the church at Beaver Meadow, Pa., in 1845; shortly after resigned this charge for a Dutch Reformed Church at Montague, N.J., where he remained until 1849, when he took charge of the academy at Blairstown, N.J., under the patronage of the Presbyterian Church. Close confinement broke down his health, and in 1851 he removed to Croton Falls, N.Y., and took charge of a small select school. In 1853 he moved West, to try a change of climate, but all in vain; he died near Philadelphia, Marion County, Missouri, May 28, 1858. Mr. Moore was a man of decided piety. The great desire of his soul was to preach the Gospel. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1860, page 76.