Montgomery, Henry Eglinton, Dd
Montgomery, Henry Eglinton, D.D.
a noted clergyman of the Protestant Episcopal Church, was born in Philadelphia December 9, 1820; was educated at the University of Pennsylvania, class of 1839; studied law for two years; travelled in Europe, and then continued his studies in Nashotah College, in Wisconsin. After remaining there two years, he entered the general theological seminary at New York. He was ordained for the holy ministry by bishop Alonzo Potter, and in 1846 assumed charge of All-Saints' Church of Philadelphia, then a small organization. His labors were very successful; the Church- membership rapidly increased, and the pastor became highly respected and beloved. In 1855 he received and accepted a call to the Church of the Incarnation of New York, which was an offshoot of and dependent upon Grace Church, and which worshipped in the edifice at the corner of Madison Avenue and Twenty-eighth Street. During the earlier years of his ministry in New York he was able to separate his church from Grace Church; and so efficient and satisfactory was his work that in 1864 a new church building was erected at Madison Avenue and Thirty-fifth Street. His labors were identified with it until his sudden decease, October 15, 1874. Dr. Montgomery was a man of acknowledged ability, and of more than ordinary endurance. He was always a hard worker; he had no assistant in his ministry, and, besides the constant demands upon his strength made by a growing Church, he had for years been a prominent member of nearly all the missionary and home societies for the advancement of the Gospel. The Missionary Society, which was in session when his death occurred, paid him a very warm and merited tribute through bishop Vail on October 15, 1874. See The Church Journal and Gospel Messenger, October 22, 1874.