Monroe, William a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Alleghany County, Indiana, September 8, 1783. He was converted when but a youth; was licensed to preach in 1809, and entered the Baltimore Conference in 1810. He was ordained deacon by bishop M'Kendree, and elder by bishop Asbury. His active ministerial life extended over a period of thirty-three years, during which time he labored on some of the most difficult circuits in the Baltimore Conference. Mr. Monroe was a man of Christian virtues and great piety, and his true devotion to Methodism has endeared him to the whole Church. His appointments were Lyttleton Circuit, Huntington Circuit, Greenville Circuit, Randolph Circuit, Georgetown, D.C., Redstone Circuit, East Wheeling, Monongahela, Rockingham Circuit, Virginia; Alleghany,Virginia; Ebenezer, Washington, D.C.; Chambersburg; Winchester, Virginia; Stafford, Virginia; Rockingham, Virginia; Staunton, Virginia; Berkeley, Virginia; Jefferson; Berkeley, Virginia; South Branch; and Hillsborough. After this for two years (1837 and 1838) he was supernumerary. In 1839-40 he was stationed at Boonsborough, and in 1841 at Codorus Mission. In 1844 he was again supernumerary; in 1843- 44, Mercersburg; and in 1845, Greencastle. This year closed his active service, and in 1846 he asked for and obtained a superannuated relation, which he sustained until removed to the Church triumphant. He died in Washington County, Maryland, May 29, 1871. See General Minutes of the M.E. Church, 1872, page 17.