Mon(t)serrat one of the smallest of the West India Islands, belonging to Great Britain, situated 43 miles N.W. of Guadeloupe, and at a similar distance from Antigua and St. Kitts, about 11 miles in length and 7 in breadth, contains an area of 47 English square miles, with a population of a little over 8500, the females exceeding the males by 735. About two thirds of the surface is mountainous and barren; the rest is well cultivated. The chief products are sugar, rum, and molasses; but cotton, arrow-root, and tamarinds are also exported. The island forms a portion of the government of the Leeward Isles, and is directly ruled by a president, aided by a council and house of assembly. The chief town is Plymouth, on the south coast. The revenue of Montserrat in 1860 amounted to £3333, and the expenditure to £3243. In the same year 203 vessels of 7825 tons entered, and 194 vessels of 7450 tons cleared its port; and the total values of imports and exports were respectively £20,060 and £17,043. The religion of the country is Christian, Protestants predominating now; though many Roman Catholics have sprung from those Irish settlers who entered the island in 1632, and the French, who owned it from 1712 till 1746.