Mills, Henry, Dd
Mills, Henry, D.D.
a Presbyterian divine, was born at Morristown, N.J., March 12, 1786; pursued his preparatory studies in his native town; graduated at Princeton College in 1802; for a considerable time taught in the academy at Morristown, and also at Elizabethtown, N.J.; was tutor for two years at Princeton College; studied theology with the Reverend Dr. James Richards; was licensed by the Presbytery of New Jersey, and in 1816 was ordained pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Woodbridge, N.J. In 1821 he was called to the professorship of Biblical criticism in the theological seminary at Auburn, N.Y., where he continued to perform his duties with eminent ability until 1854, when he resigned, and was made professor emeritus. He died June 10, 1867. Dr. Mills was a man of marked characteristics — impressive in personal appearance, instructive in conversation, sharp in intellect. As a preacher, his style was simple, chaste, and direct. As a scholar, he was most eminent — thoroughly versed in Hebrew and master of the German language. He published in 1845 Horae Germaniae, a
Version of German Hymns. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1868, page 218.