Meharry; Alexander, Dd
Meharry; Alexander, D.D.
a Methodist Episcopal minister, was born in Adams County, Ohio, October 17, 1831. He was carefully and religiously trained; was converted in his thirteenth year: in 1833 entered into mercantile business; received license to preach in 1841, and in the same year joined the Ohio Conference. His fields of labor were Blendon, Bamibridge Circuit, Jacksonville, Deer Creek, Frankfort, and Augusta Circuit, Kentucky. In 1848 and 1849 he served New Street and East Cincinnati missions. He then acted as agent for the Ohio Wesleyan University, for six years, as well as part of the time as agent for the Springfield Highschool. His next appointments were Franklin, Middletown, Finley Chapel, Cincinnati, and Wilmington. In 1866 and 1867 he was agent for the Cincinnati Wesleyan College; from 1868 to 1870 was pastor at Eaton; in 1871 served as presiding elder of Ripley District; in 1872 and 1873 of Springfield District; from 1874 to 1877 held a superannuated relation; and in 1878 was appointed financial agent of the Ohio Wesleyan University. He died in Germantown, November 18 of thlat year. Dr. Meharry was a plain, practical, bold, and uncompromising preacher; a man of great energy, an indefatigable worker. See Minutes of Annual Conferences, 1879, page 16.