Mayer, Lewis D.D., a noted American divine of that branch of the Christian Church denominated the German Reformed, was born at Lancaster, Pa., March 26, 1783. After having received a liberal education in his native place, he removed to Frederick, Md., where he devoted his attention for some time to a secular calling. He was fond of reading and study. Having become conscious of a call to the holy ministry, he pursued his theological studies with great zeal and success, under the direction of the Rev. Mr. Wagner, of Frederick, Md. He was licensed and ordained in 1807, and became pastor of a charge in Shepherdstown, Va., where he labored till 1821. In that year he was called as pastor to York, Pa. In 1825 he resigned his charge, having been called by the Synod of the German Reformed Church to assume the presidency of the theological seminary then established at Carlisle, Pa., and afterwards located at York, Pa. In this position he labored with great zeal till 1835. His health giving way he retired to private life, and lived in York, Pa. He devoted his remaining strength to the preparation of a History of the German Reformed Church, only the first volume of which, however, has been published. This volume is chiefly occupied with an account of the Reformation in Switzerland. His labors were brought down to 1770. Dr. Mayer published also a Treatise on the Sin against the Holy Ghost, and Lectures on Scripture Subjects. While professor of theology he also edited for some years the Magazine and the Messenger of the German Reformed Church. He died Aug. 25, 1849. See biographical sketch by the Rev. E. Heiner, prefaced to Dr. Mayer's History (Phila. 1850, 8vo, pp. 477).