Maupin, Milton a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, was born in Campbell County, Tennessee, Dec. 24,1829. He was educated at Emory and Henry College, Virginia; was licensed to preach about the year 1849; and was engaged for two or three years teaching school and preaching in the local relation. He went to California in 1852, and in 1853 joined the Pacific Conference, California. In 1856 he returned to Tennessee, in 1859 joined the Holston Conference, and was appointed to Grayson Circuit, in Western Virginia; in 1860 to Newport Circuit; in 1861 to Maynardsville Circuit. In 1862 he was appointed by the Conference a missionary chaplain to a regiment in the Confederate States army; but, as the regiment was disbanded before the close of the year, he returned home, and was without regular work until 1866, when he was appointed to Knox and Maynardsville Circuit. In 1867 he was transferred to Trinity Conference, Texas, and appointed in 1869 to Gainesville Circuit; in 1871 to Decatur Mission, where he finished his life and ministry, April 1,1871. He was faithful to his calling while his strength lasted. "He left the aroma of a good name, and the assurance that he went to his rest." — Minutes of the M. E. Church South, 1871.