Matthews, John, Dd
Matthews, John, D.D.
a Presbyterian minister, was born in Guilford County, N.C., January 19, 1772. He was licensed to preach in 1801, by the Presbytery of Orange, and crossed the desert country to Natchez, Miss., acting as a missionary there. In April 1803, he returned to North Carolina, and shortly after received a call to the churches of Nutbush and Grassy Creek, where he continued till 1806, then removed to Martinsburg, Virginia, and after a year resigned this for the charge at Shepherdstown. Here he continued till 1836, preaching as stated supply of this Church and that of Charlestown, and frequently also at Harper's Ferry. He next took a charge at Martinsburg and Charlestown, and when the theological seminary was established at Hanover, Indiana, he was invited to become professor. He died at New Albany, May 19, 1848. His publications are, Letters on the Divine Purpose, and The Influence of the Bible.