Matthews, Henry a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, was born in Prince George County, Md. Blessed with pious and good parents, he was early led to Christ, and connected himself with Asbury Church, in Howard County. In 1849 he moved to Baltimore, and joined the Sharp Street Church. In 1852 he was licensed to preach, and in 1857 was ordained a local deacon. In 1864 he joined the Washington Conference, just then organizing, and was appointed to Gunpowder Circuit, where he labored with great zeal for three years; was then appointed to West River Circuit, and in 1870 was stationed at Monocacy; but his health suddenly failed, and he was compelled to relinquish his arduous labors. He died Dec. 31, 1870. "Brother Matthews was a faithful, plodding, deeply conscientious minister. Wherever he went his solidity of character was acknowledged; and the firm faith which he himself reposed in the doctrines he preached, and his prayerful reliance on God, stamped on his efforts unvaried success." See Conf. Minutes, 1871, p. 28.