Martin, James a Presbyterian minister, was born in Union District, S. C., May 14,1801. He graduated at the North Carolina University, at Chapel Hill, N. C., in 1825; studied divinity under the care of Dr. Cunningham, of Concord Church, Green Co., Ala.; was licensed in 1827, and soon after ordained as a domestic missionary in West Florida and South Alabama. In 1830 he took charge of the churches at Linden and Prairie Bluffs, Ala.; in 1837 moved to Louisville, Miss., where he organized a Church; in 1841 became pastor of a Church at Multona Springs, Miss.; in 1848 removed to Memphis, Tenn., where he taught school till 1850, when he went to Arkansas, and organized several churches. He died Sept. 14,1863. Mr. Martin possessed an excellent mind; his education was sound and classical, his piety devout and habitual. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1867, p. 445.