Marshall, John a Presbyterian minister, was born in Washington Co., Pa., Jan. 13, 1813. He received his early education in St. Clairsville, Ohio; graduated at Franklin College, Ohio, in 1839; studied theology in the seminary of the Associate Presbyterian Church in Canonsburg, Pa.; was licensed in 1843, and installed pastor of the Associate Presbyterian churches of Londonderry and West Chester, Ohio. Owing to the discussion going on in anticipation of the union between the Associate and Associate Reformed Presbyterian churches, his mind was directed to the investigation of their views concerning psalmody and intercommunion, and this led, in 1854, to his joining the presbytery of St. Clairsville. In 1855 he became the stated supply for Woodsfield Church, Ohio, and in 1857 he accepted a call to the churches of Doddsville and Huntsville, Ill. He died Aug. 24, 1858. Mr. Marshall was practical and zealous as a preacher, social and affable as a Christian gentleman. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1860, p. 75.