Marquis, James E
Marquis, James E.
a Presbyterian minister, was born near Cross Creek, Pa., Nov. 20, 1815; was educated in Jefferson College. Canonsburg, Pa.; studied divinity in the Western Theological Seminary, Alleghany, Pa.; was licensed by Washington Presbytery in 1844, and ordained by Sidney Presbytery in 1848. During the first ten years of his ministry he labored successively in the churches of Kenton, Mansfield, Shelby, and Ontario, Ohio. In 1858 he removed to Bloomington. Ill., and commenced to labor as presbyterial missionary for the presbyteries of Peoria and Bloomington. In' 1859 he accepted the united charge of the churches of Salem, Brunswick, and Elmawood, which he retained until his death, Feb. 22, 1863. Mr. Marquis was noted for his faithfulness, devotion, and purity of life. He was eminently successful as a pastor; earnest and instructive as a preacher. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Almanac, 1864, p, 171.