Margetson, James, Dd
Margetson, James, D.D.
an Irish prelate, was born in 1600, at Drighlington, in Yorkshire, and received his education in Peterhouse College, Cambridge; was promoted to the parish of Watlas; in 1635 was advanced to the deanery of Waterford; in 1637 to that of Derry, and in 1639 was made dean of Christ Church, Dublin. Throughout the troubled period of 1641 his charity and benevolence to the sufferers were singularly eminent. In July 1647, he joined in a remonstrance to the commissioners of the English Parliament, praying liberty for the use of the common prayer in their respective churches, and rejecting the directory ordered to be used instead. Soon after, the war obliged him to flee to England, where he was thrown into prison. He finally was released, and sought refuge in London. When Charles II was restored to the throne, Margetson was selected to fill the metropolitan chair of the province of Dublin, and was consecrated January 27, 1660. In 1662 he enforced the principle of jurisdiction and control over the pulpits of his diocese. About this time Margetson was one of the spiritual peers who voted for the third reading of the Act of Settlement. During the time he presided over the see of Dublin he liberally contributed to the repair of both its cathedrals. In 1663 he was translated to the province of Armagh. He was also afterwards chosen vice-chancellor of Trinity College, Dublin. He died in August 1678. See D'Alton, Memoirs of the Archbishops of Dublin, page 275.