Mairs, George an Irish minister, was born at Drumbeg, Monaghan County, Ireland, in 1761; received his classical education at the University of Glasgow; next studied theology; was licensed to preach by an associate presbytery in Ireland, and, after laboring as a probationer for eighteen months, was ordained and installed pastor of the congregation of Cootehill, Cavan Co. Interested in the work of evangelizing in America, he left Ireland in May, 1793, and arrived in New York in August of the same year. Soon after his arrival he was installed pastor of the churches in the towns of Hebron and Argyle; six years after he confined his labors to the Church in Argyle alone, and held this position until old age interrupted his active labors. He died in 1841. — Sprague, Annals of the American Pulpit, vol. 9.