Magraw, James, Dd
Magraw, James, D.D.
a Presbyterian minister, was born in Bart Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, January 1, 1775. He graduated from Franklin College, Lancaster, about 1799. After studying theology, he was licensed, December 16, 1801, by the Presbytery of Middletown; preached as a missionary for a year or two; and was ordained April 4, 1804, pastor of the Church in West Nottingham, Cecil County, Maryland. Here he remained till 1810, when a church was formed in Upper West Nottingham, which he also served till 1821. In 1822 he organized a church at Charlestown, of which he was pastor till his death, October 20, 1835. Besides preaching, Dr. Magraw was engaged for many years in teaching. (J.C.S.),