Lu'hith (Heb. Ltuchith', לוּחַית [always with the art. prefixed], prob. tableted [see below]; Sept. Λουειθ, but in Jeremiah [הלחוֹת] Α᾿λαώθ v.r. Α᾿λώθ), a Moabitish place (but whether a town or not is uncertain, as it is only found in the phrase "ascent of Luhith"), apparently situated on an eminence between Zoar and Horonaim, on the track of the invading Babylonians (Isa 15:5; Jer 48:5). According to Eusebius, it lay between Areopolis and Zoar. M. de Saulcy thinks it may be identified with a site on the hill Nouehin, about half way up on the south side of the ravine leading north-easterly from the northern opening of the peninsula of the Dead Sea (Narrative, 1:386, 267, and map). The position is probably not far from correct (although not between Ar and Zoar), but no such name appears on Robinson's or Zimmermann's map: it does, however, on Van de Velde's.
Luthith, "as a Hebrew word, signifies 'made of boards or posts' (Gesenius, Thesaurus, page 748); but why assume that a Moabitish spot should have a Hebrew name? By the Syriac interpreters it is rendered 'paved with flagstones' (Eichhorn, Allg. Bibliothek, 1:845, 872). In the Targums (Pseudojon. and Jerus. on Nu 21:16, and Jonathan on Isa 15:1) Lechaiath is given as the equivalent of Ar-Moab. This may contain an allusion to Luchith, or it may point to the use of a term meaning 'jaw' for certain eminences, not only in the case of the Lehi of Samson, but also elsewhere. See Michaelis, Suppl. No. 1307; but, on the other hand, Buxtorf, Lex. Talm. col. 1134."