Littleton, Adam D.D., a learned English divine, was born November 8, 1627, at Hales Owen, Shropshire, and was educated first at Westminster School, and later (1647) at Christ-church, Oxford, where he was ejected by the Parliamentary visitors in 1648. He was afterward usher, and taught as second master at Westminster School (1658). He became rector of Chelsea in 1674, and the same year was made prebendary of Westminster, and received a grant to succeed Dr. Busby in the mastership of that school. He had for some years been the king's chaplain, and in 1670 received his degree in divinity, which was conferred upon him without taking any in arts, on account of his extraordinary merit. He was for some time subdean of Westminster, and in 1687 was transferred to the church of St. Botolph, Aldersgate, London, which he held four years. He died June 30, 1694. He was an excellent philologist and grammarian, learned in the Oriental languages and Rabbinical lore. He was the author of a Latin Dictionary, long popular, but finally superseded by Ainsworth's. He also published many sermons and other works. — Thomas, Biog. Dict. s.v.; Darling, Cyclop. Bibliog. s.v.