Lillie, John, Dd
Lillie, John, D.D.
a minister originally of the Refoirmed (Dutch), but afterwards of the Presbyterian Chiurch, was born in Kelso, Scotland, December 16, 1812; graduated with the highest honors at the University of Edinburgh at the age of twenty-one years, prosecuted his theological studies for two years at Eidinburgh, then came to America, and completed his course at the Theological Seminary of the Reformed (Dutch) Church, New Brunswick, N.J. In 1835 he was installed pastor of the Reformed Dutch Church in Kingston, N.Y. In 1841 he took charge of the grammar-school of the New York University, and in 1843 of a congregation which had gathered about him in the University Chapel, and afterwards (1846) occupied their new church in Stanton Street. From 1844 until 1848 he was the editor of the Jewish Chronicle. He was employed by the American (Baptist) Bible Union as one of its translators from 1851 to 1857. In 1855 he received the degree of D.D. from the University of Edinburgh. In 1858 he accepted the call offered to him by the Presbyterian Church, Kingston, N.Y., and he there labored until his death, February 23, 1867. Dr. Lilie's published productions is are not numerous, but highly creditable. His revisions and translation of the epistles to the Thessalonions, the Second Epistle of Peter, those of John and Jude, and the Revelation, for the Anglo-American edition of "Lange's Commentary," have won the highest encomiums. He was also the author of a small work on The Perpetuity of the Earth, in which he developed his premillennial views. Dr. Lillie was an earnest Christian, a ripe scholar, and a faithful pastor. See Wilson, Presb. Hist. Aima. 1868, page 117; Kingston Arus and Journal, February 1867; Mem. Sermnon, by Reverend W. Irvin; British and Foreign Evangelical Review, 59:619.