Lightenstein, John, Dd
Lightenstein, John, D.D.
a member of the Cincinnati Presbytery, was born at Hechingen, Hohenzollern, Germany, in 1818. The occasion of his conversion was his zealous efforts to bring back to the Jewish faith a companion who had become a Christian. At different universities he enjoyed the teachings of such men as Merle D'Aubigne, Hengstenberg, Neander, Stahl, and Schelling. He was ordained in 1842, and was for a time a missionary among the Jews of Alsace. He came to New York in 1845, on the invitation of the Society for Ameliorating the Condition of the Jews, and was superintendent of their mission-house. He afterwards became pastor of a German Presbyterian Church in Paterson, N.J., and subsequently of a German Reformed Church in Buffalo, N.Y., where he remained eight years. He removed to Cincinnati in 1866, took charge of the First German Presbyterian Church, and continued there, until his death, Nov. 3,1882. He was a ripe scholar, an able preacher, and a thoroughly evangelical mall. See N.Y. Observer, November 23, 1882. (W.P.)