Langeac (or Langhac), Jean De
Langeac (or Langhac), Jean De a French prelate, was born at Langeac, in Auvergne, near the close of the 15th century, of a noble Sicilian family. He early embraced the ecclesiastical calling, and received numerous benefices, being preceptor of the Hotel Dieu of Langeac, rector of Coulange, count of Brionde, dean of the chapter of Langeac, archdeacon of Retz, treasurer of the Church of Puy, count of Lyons, provost of Brionde, abbot of St. Gildas des Bois, of St. Lo, of Charli, of Eu, of Pibrac, then bishop of Avranches, a see which he resigned in favor of Robert Cenalis, after occupying it six months, and took possession of the bishopric of Limoges, June 22, 1533. He was also prothonotary of the sacred see, counsellor of the grand council, grand- almoner of the king in 1516, master of requests in 1518, ambassador to Portugal, Poland, Hungary, Switzerland, Scotland, Venice, Ferrara, England, and finally to Rome. At Limoges he established an episcopal residence, repaired the cathedral, and elaborately ornamented it. His memory is revered at Limoges, where he is still called "the good bishop." Wherever he was sent he firmly defended the rights of the king. At Rome even, he strongly maintained the liberty of the Gallicah Church, He was a friend and patron of literature. During his embassy at Venice, he had as secretary Stephen Dolet, who dedicated to him three of his books. He died at Paris, May 22,1541. Only a collection of synodal statutes in MS. remain, of his works. See Hoefer, Nouv. Biog. Generale, s.v.; Biog. Universelle, s.v.