Knott, John W
Knott, John W., a Presbyterian minister, was born near Blairsville, Westmoreland County, Pa., Oct. 7, 1812. He was educated at Jefferson College, Pa., and studied theology at Western and Princeton theological seminaries. After graduation he preached at Gilgal, Pa., for about a year, when he removed to Ohio, and was installed over the churches of Leesville and Ontario; there he continued three years, and then for four years served as pastor of the churches at Havesville and Jeromeville. He was next called to the churches of Keene and Jefferson, where he officiated for seven years. During the remainder of his life, with intervals of relaxation on account of ill health, he preached at Eden, Caroline, Waynesburg, Nevada, and Sandusky, Ohio. He died at Shelby, Ohio, Sept. 3, 1864. Mr. Knott made many sacrifices of personal advancement and comfort to further the cause of religion. He was a man of unbounded faith in the Bible, from which he drew all his theology and philosophy. The burden of his preaching was Jesus Christ and him crucified. He believed, "when he had proven his position from the Bible, he had established it immovably." See Wilson, Presb. Historical Almanac, 1865.