Jones, Thomas (1), Dd
Jones, Thomas (1), D.D.
an Irish prelate, was born in Lancashire, and educated at Christ College, Cambridge. His first promotion was to the chancellorship of St. Patrick's Cathedral; in 1581 he was elected its dean; in May, 1584, dean Jones was promoted to the see of Meath, and on May 12 was consecrated in St. Patrick's Church. Having presided over that see twenty-one years, he was translated to that of Dublin in 1605, and was consecrated November 9 of the same year. In 1611, he, and the other archbishops o£ the Established Church, held a council in Dublin, wherein it was decreed that the suffragans should reside in their respective dioceses, visit all the churches, and institute such regulations as would be best calculated to prevent sectarianism and extirpate popery. In 1613 he was one of the justices in commission with sir Richard Wingfield. In 1614 he had a grant of the temporalities of the bishoprics of Kilmore and Ardagh during vacancy. During the episcopacy of archbishop Jones he repaired a great part of Christ Church. He died at his palace of St. Sepulchre's in April 1619. See D'Alton, Memoirs of the Archbishops of Dublin, page 250.