Jones, Inigo an eminent English architect, was born in London in 1572. He went to Venice and studied the works of Palladio, and his reputation procured him the appointment of chief architect to Christian IV, king of Denmark, who, in 1606, brought Jones with him to England. He was induced to remain, and was appointed architect to the queen, and subsequently to Henry, prince of Wales. He invented many ingenious decorations and wonderful machines. Among his works are the palace of lord Pembroke, at Wilton, in the county of Wilts; the queen's chapel, St. James; the facades of Holyrood House; and Heriot's Hospital, Edinburgh. He died in London, July 21, 1652. A collection of Inigo Jones's architectural designs was published by Kent in 1712 and 1724. See Spooner, Biog. Hist. of the Fine Arts, s.v.; Hoefer, Nouv. Biog. Generale, s.v.