Johns, John, Dd, Lld
Johns, John, D.D., LL.D.
a Protestant Episcopal clergyman, was born at New Castle, Delaware, July 10, 1796. He graduated from the College of New Jersey in 1815; studied bwo years at Princeton Theological Seminary; in his eighteenth year joined the Protestant Episcopal Church, and, June 10, 1819, was ordained deacon, and in 1820 presbyter. His first parish was All-Saints' Church, Frederick, Maryland, and in 1829 he became rector of old Christ's Church, in Baltimore. In 1837 a new church was erected, called the Church of the Messiah, of which he was rector until he became assistant bishop of the diocese of Virginia, May 21, 1842. In 1849 he was elected president of William and Mary College, where he remained until 1854. He died at Alexandria, Virginia, April 5, 1876. He was a leader of the evangelical side of his Church, and commanded admiration from men of all shades of opinion by the purity of his life and the sincerity of his convictions. See Necrol. Report of Princeton Theol. Sen. 1877, page 12.