John of Flanders
John Of Flanders a Flemish prelate, was the son of Guy, count of Flanders. He became at first provost of St. Peter of Lille, and of St. Donatian of Bruges. Nicholas III provided him with the bishopric of Metz, January 2, 1280, but he neglected the duties of that charge, and only took its revenues to acquire grounds at Flanders. After a short time he was appointed bishop of Liege, and took possession of his new Church, October 31, 1282. In 1285 he got into difficulties with the sheriffs of Liege, and left the city, taking with him his clergy, and retiring into the borough of Huy. His exile lasted twenty- two months. After his return to Liege he made a league with his brother-in-
law, the duke of Brabant, against Renaud, count of Guelders. In 1288, while hunting, according to the custom of those times, he was seized and imprisoned for five months, until he paid a ransom. He died October 14, 1292. He published, in 1287, Synodal Statutes, collected by D. Martene, Thes. Anecd. 4:829. See Hoefer, Nouv. Biog. Generale, s.v.