Jocelyn (or Joceline) of Wells
Jocelyn (or Joceline) Of Wells an early English prelate, was born and educated at Wells, Somersetshire, of which he became the bishop in 1206, and was the first to fix the title of Bath and Wells to the old see of Glaston. The monks of Glastonbury purchased their exemption from the territory of the see by parting with four manors to the new diocese of Wells. Jocelyn, with archbishop Langton, was banished on account of obstinacy against king John. After five years exile in France he returned to his see, and devoted himself to the beautifying and enriching of his cathedral. He erected some new prebends, and to the use of the chapter appropriated many churches, increasing the revenues of the offices, and he gave three manors to the episcopal see. He, with Hugo, bishop of Lincoln, was the first founder of St. John's, in Wells, and at his own cost built a chapel at Wokey, and another at Wells. The cathedral of Wells was his masterpiece, however. He died November 19, 1242. See Fuller, Worthies of England (ed. Nuttall), 3:93.