Jesus (Holy Child), Congregation Of, the Daughters of The
Jesus (Holy Child), Congregation Of, The Daughters Of The, is the name of a society existing in Rome, and was founded by Anna Moroni, of Lucca, who in early years went to Rome, and there amassed a fortune, which she decided to devote to a religious purpose. In its character, she made it an institution similar to that of the "Hospital Sisters," for the education of young women, so as to enable them to earn a livelihood. The congregation was confirmed by pope Clement X in 1673. The number of the members is set down at thirty-three, corresponding with the years Jesus spent on earth; they assume the vow of poverty, chastity, and obedience. The novitiate lasts three years, but they may withdraw before taking the vow, leaving, however, to the congregation whatever they may have brought there on their admission. The discipline of the congregation is strict; the dress is a full dark brown garment and white cowl. There existed also a similar order under the name of "Sisters of the good Jesus" early in the 15th century. Their main object was the promotion of a life of chastity among females. — Herzog, Real-Encyklop. 6, 615. SEE HOSPITAL SISTERS.