Hutchinson, John Russell, Dd
Hutchinson, John Russell, D.D.
a Presbyterian minister, was born in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, February 12, 1807. He graduated from Jefferson College in 1826, and studied two years in Princeton Seminary. He was licensed to preach by the Presbytery of Philadelphia, April 22, 1829, and went to Mississippi the following October. He preached at Rodney, Mississippi; Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Vicksburg, Mississippi; Bethel Church, Prytanea Street, and Carrolton, New Orleans, Louisiana, January 1, 1834, he became connected with the College of Louisiana. In 1842 he was called to occupy the chair of ancient languages in Oakland College, Mississippi, which he held twelve years, and for a time, in 1851, he was acting president. In 1854 he removed to New Orleans, purchased property, and established a classical school of a high order. In 1860 he took charge of the public academy in Houston, Texas. He died February 24, 1878. He was a preacher for nearly half a century, and in his prime a man of mark. See Necrol. Report of Princeton Theol. Sem. 1878, page 17.