Hodgson, Francis, Dd
Hodgson, Francis, D.D.
a Methodist Episcopal minister, was born of Wesleyan parents, in Driffield, England, February 13, 1805. He sailed to the United States in his youth, and with his parents settled in West Chester, Pennsylvania, where he developed a noble manhood. He entered the Philadelphia Conference in 1828, and served consecutively, Dauphin Circuit; Elkton, Maryland; St. George's, Philadelphia; Harrisburg Circuit; and Columbia. In 1836 he was transferred to the New York Conference, and stationed at Vestry Street charge: afterwards at Mulberry Street, Middletown; Hartford; and New Haven. In 1845 he received a retransfer to the Philadelphia Conference, and was sent to Trinity charge, Philadelphia; afterwards at Salem, Pennsylvania; Harrisburg; St. Paul's, Wilmington, Delaware; St. George's, Philadelphia; Union; Lancaster, Pennsylvania; South Philadelphia District; Fifth Street, Philadelphia; and Salem, Pennsylvania. He was transferred to the Central Pennsylvania Conference in 1868, and stationed successively at Danville, Lewisburg, and Chambersburg. A superannuated relation was granted him in 1876 with the Philadelphia Conference, and he retired to that city, where he died, April 16, 1877. Dr. Hodgson was a persuasive orator, a successful preacher, a profound theologian, and a skilful polemic, as well as a man of deep piety and unwavering devotedness to the Church. See Minutes of Annual Conferences, 1878, page 75; Simpson, Cyclop. of Methodism, s.v.