Hiubbard, Bela, Dd
Hiubbard, Bela, D.D.
a Protestant Episcopal minister, was born in Guilford, Connecticut, August 27, 1739. In 1758 he graduated from Yale College, and afterwards studied theology at King's College, New York city. On February 5, 1764, he was ordained deacon in the King's Chapel, London, and presbyter in St. James's Church on the 19th of the same month. Returning to America, he officiated at Guilford and Killingworth until 1767, when the Society for Propagating the Gospel in Foreign Parts appointed him missionary to New Haven and West Haven, Connecticut. Between these places he divided his labors equally until the Revolution; after that, until 1791, he gave only one fourth of his time to West Haven, and from that time onward his services were confined almost entirely to New Haven. Although a royalist during the Revolution, he exercised so much discretion that he was not seriously embarrassed in performing his duties. Until peace was declared, in 1783, he continued to receive a salary of £60 yearly from the society which employed him, but after that time he became entirely dependent upon his parishes. Rev. Henry Whitlock became his assistant minister in 1811 Trinity Church being the name of his parish. Dr. Hubbard died in New Haven, December 6, 1812. He was not considered a brilliant man, but was distinguished for sound judgment. His style of preaching, though not animated, was earnest. See Sprague, Annals of the Amer. Pulpit, 5:234.