Hill, William Wallace, Dd
Hill, William Wallace, D.D.
a Presbyterian minister, was born in Bath County, Ky, Jan. 26, 1815. He prepared for college at Mt. Sterling and Paris; graduated from Centre College in 1835; entered Princeton Theological Seminary the same year, and remained two years. He was licensed by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, April 24, 1838, ordained by the Presbytery of Louisville, October 3 following, and installed pastor at Shlelbyville, where he served four years. He then took charge of The Protestant Herald, published at Bardstown, but removed it to Frankfort, as a more central place of publication. In November 1844, he again removed with his paper to Louisville, and its name was changed to The Presbyterian Herald. As a religious newspaper it had few equals in the land. Its publication ceased in 1862, on account of the war. From 1845 to 1860 he was also corresponding secretary of the Western Executive Committee of the Board of Domestic Missions. He then founded Bellewood Female Seminary, near Louisville, and was its principal from 1862 to 1874. During these years he also preached more or less regularly at Plumb Creek, Middletown, and Anchorage. In 1874 he accepted the charge of the Synodical Female College at Fulton, Missouri, and supplied the Presbyterian Church of that place. He left Fulton in 1877, and went to Sherman, Texas, where he commenced teaching in Austin College, preaching for the Church there at the same time. He died May 1, 1878. See Necrol. Report of Princeton Theol. Sem. 1879, page 39.