Hawthorne, James, Dd
Hawthorne, James, D.D.
a Presbyterian minister, was born at Slabtown, Burlington County, N.J., April 1, 1803, and in early life removed to Kentucky. He studied with Reverend A.A. Shannon, of Shelbyville; graduated from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1828; was licensed by the Presbytery of New Brunswick, February 6 of that year; and November 21, 1829, was ordained over the churches of Lawrenceburg and Upper Beussoln, in Franklin County, Ky., where he remained till April 4, 1833, after which he preached for various churches as a supply for three years. He was installed pastor of Plum-Creek and Cane Run churches in Shelby County, December 29, 1836; dismissed April 23, 1841, after which he supplied the Lawrenceburg Church about five years; next served the Church at Princeton for one year as a stated supply, and April 9, 1848, was installed as pastor there. For nearly thirty years he performed the duties of this pastorate with great earnestness and faithfulness. He was a man of spotless integrity, of a lovable disposition, cultivated in mind, Christlike in spirit. His long rides over rough roads in inclement seasons, while supplying weak congregations, had injured his health and laid the foundation for weakness in his later years. He died June 28, 1877. See Necsol. Report of Princeton Theol. Sem. 1878, page 15. (W.P.S.)