Hareth Lieut. Conder argues at length (Quar. Statement of the "Pal. Explor. Fund," January 1875, page 42 sq.) against the existence of any forest in this vicinity, and therefore prefers the reading עַיר (city) to יִעִר (wood); but his reasoning is based upon a misconception (corrected in his Tent Work, 2:88) of the latter word, which usually does not imply timber, but simply a copse or low brushwood. He finds the locality in question in the "small modern village of Kharas, in the hills on the north side of Wady Arneba, one of the heads of the valle of Elah (Wady es-Sunt); an ancient site, with: the usual indications-wells, cisterns, and rough caves in the hill- sides." It is laid down on the Ordnance Map seven and a half miles east of Beit-Jibrin, and two miles east of Khurbet Kila (Keilah). This identification is concurred in by Tristram (Bible Places, pge 43) and Trelawney Saunders (Mcap of the O.T.).