Hamilton, Gavin a Scotch prelate, was first a minister at Hamilton, and afterwards promoted to the see of Galloway in 1606, and because the revenue was small, king James gave him the abbey of Dundrennan. He was consecrated bishop of Brechin, October 20, 1610, according to the form of the Church of England. He had also a grant from the priory of Whitern annexed to the see of Galloway. Here he sat until his death, in 1614. See Keith, Scottish Bishops, page 280.