Guthrie, John (2), Dd
Guthrie, John (2), D.D.
an English Congregational minister, was born at Milnathort, Kinrossshire, January 30, 1814. He was kept in the Church from infancy through the care of pious parents; entered Edinburgh University at the age of seventeen, where he took the degree of M.A., distinguishing himself in classics and philosophy; and in 1839 was ordained pastor of the Secession Church at Kendal. Shortly afterwards he was excommunicated from that Church for maintaining the universality of Christ's atonement. He then, with others, formed the Evangelical Union, became the professor in the Theological Hall of the new body, and held the office from 1846 to 1861. From 1848 to 1851 he held the pastorate in Glasgow, whence he removed to Greenock, where he labored successfully for eleven years. Thence he went to Tolmers Square, London, but returned to Glasgow, where he assumed the pastorate of a new church, and filled the chair of apologetics in the Theological Hall of the Evangelical Union. He died in London, September 8, 1878. See (Lond.) Cong. Year-book, 1879, page 316.