Gregory, Henry, Dd
Gregory, Henry, D.D.
a minister of the Protestant Episcopal Church, was born September 22, 1803, at Wilton, Fairfield County, Connecticut. He graduated at Hobart College in 1826; was ordained deacon in 1829, and presbyter in 1831; officiated first in Moravia, N.Y.; was called to Calvary Church, Homer, in 1833; went as missionary to the Menomonee Indians, near Green.Bay, Wisconsin, in 1836; returned to Homer in 1838, and two rears after was elected rector of St. Paul's Church, Syracuse, N.Y.; became the first rector of St. James's Free Church, in the same city, in 1848, but resigned in 1857 on account of impaired health; subsequently accepted the presidency of De Veaux College at Suspension Bridge, remaining in that position two years, when he established the Church Book Depository at Syracuse. He died there, April 5, 1866. In connection with the free church system, Dr. Gregory published, in 1850, a tract on the Christian. Tenth. See Amer. Quar. Church Rev. July 1866, page 311.