Grandison, John an English prelate of the 14th century, was born at Asperton, Herefordshire. He was prebendary of Exeter and York in 1309, archdeacon of Nottingham, October 12, 1310, and dean of Wells. While holding these preferments, he became chaplain to pope Clement V, who employed him as his nuncio in France, Spain, Germany, and England, where he attracted the notice of Edward III. He was consecrated to the see of Exeter, October 18,1327. He was enormously rich, founded Ottery St. Mary, built Bishop's Teignton, vaulted the nave, built the west front of Exeter Cathedral, annexed Radway to his see, and compelled all ecclesiastics in his diocese to bequeath their goods to him to complete his buildings. He died July 16,1369. Bishop Grandison had great trouble with the archbishop of Canterbury. See Hook, Lives of the Archbishops of Canterbury, 3:507; Fuller, Worthies of England (ed. Nuttall), 2:74.