Gilbee, Earle, Dd
Gilbee, Earle, D.D.
an English divine, was descended from a highly respectable family in Kent. He was educated at the Charter-House, where for a considerable time he was a head scholar. From thence he entered University College, Oxford, where he graduated in due course. His first exercise of the ministry was in London, where he served a Church for some years. In the year 1795 he was instituted to the living of Barby, in Northamptonshire, which he held till his death, October 2, 1813. He distinguished himself as a diligent, faithful, and successful minister of Christ. He was a firm friend of the British and Foreign Bible Society, and much rejoiced in witnessing the establishment of an auxiliary institution in the county of Northampton in 1812. Dr. Gilbee was a man whose piety was deep, and whose benevolence endeared him to all who needed his help. It was his meat and drink, whether in the pulpit or out of it to lessen human misery and produce happiness. See The (Lond.) Christian Observer, February 1814, page 65. Gilbert, Saint, a member of the noble family of Auvergne, was first abbot of a monastery which bore his name in the diocese of Clermont. He passed his youth at the courts of Louis the Gross and Louis the Younger, and was reckoned among the bravest and most pious knights of his time. After preaching in behalf of the second crusade, he accompanied the king to the Holy Land. The-unfortunate results of the expedition threw a profound sadness into the heart of Gilbert, who attributed it to the sins of the crusaders. He resolved to consecrate himself entirely to a monanstic life, with the approval of his wife and daughter. Having consulted the bishop of Clermont and the abbot of Dilo, he gave half of his goods to the poor, and reserved the remainder for building two monasteries, one for men and the other for women. The latter was established at Aubeterre, under the invocation of St. Gervais and St. Protais. His wife, Petrorille, assumed the management, and at her death his daughter, Ponce, succeeded her. Gilbert retired to a place named Neuf Fontaines. He there constructed a monastery, was elected abbot, and ruled with great wisdom. On one side of the monastery was a large hospital for the sick and infirm. He died June 1, 1152, and at his request was interred in the hospital cemetery. The third abbot caused his remains to be transferred to the church, Robert of Auxerre published the life of St. Gilbert in his Chronique. See Hoefer, Nouv. Biog. Generale, s.v.