Gayley Samuel Maxwell
Gayley Samuel Maxwell, a Presbyterian minister, was born in Co. Tyrone, Ireland, June 4, 1802. He came to this country in 1823, studied in Philadelphia, and was licensed to preach in 1828. In 1832 he was installed pastor in Wilmington, Delaware, where he also established the Wilmington Classical Institute, which he conducted with great success until July 4, 1854, when his house was burned to the ground. In October 1854, he removed to Media, Pennsylvania, and established the Media Classical Institute, which he conducted successfully until his death, December 19,1862. As an educator of youth Mr. Gayley did a great work. He was most thorough and conscientious in his instructions, aiming to make solid thinkers rather than conceited coxcombs. He had more than one thousand youths under his care. They were from twenty different states, and from Canada, Cuba, Ireland, England, Mexico, Poland, Barbadoes, India. — Wilson, Presbyterian Historical Almanac, 1864.