Garretson, John, Dd
Garretson, John, D.D.
a minister of the Reformed (Dutch) Church, was born at Six-Mile Run, N.J., November 9,1801. He graduated from Union College in 1823 and from the New Brunswick Theological Seminary in 1826; was licensed by the Classis of New Brunswick, and became missionary to Kinderhook Landing (Stuyvesant) and Columbiaville, N.Y., the same year; at Middleburg in 1827; at Schraalenburg, N.J., in 1833; at Brooklyn, N.Y., organizing the Central Church there, in 1836; at Belleville, N.J., in 1837; corresponding secretary of the Board of Domestic Missions in 1849; pastor at Canastota, N.Y., in 1859; at Owasco Outlet in 1861; at Esopus in 1865;
also stated supply at St. Remy; at Lawrenceville, Pennsylvania (Presbyterian), in 1866; at Cortlandtown, N.Y., in 1869; then two years without a charge, until he became rector of Hertzog. Hall in 1874 where he died in 1875. He was clear and discriminating, as a preacher, wise in counsel, and of broad and well-wrought plans for the advancement of the Church. See Corwin, Manual of the Ref. Church in America, 3d ed. page 280.