Frieze in classical architecture, the middle division of an entablature, lying between the architrave and the cornice. In the Tuscan order it is plain. In the Doric it is divided by three raised flutes, called triglyphs, into spaces called metopes, which are usually filled with sculpture. In the Ionic it is sometimes ornamented withe sculpture; sometimes the metopes swell out in the middle. In the Corinthian and Composite it is ornamented in various ways, but usually either with flowers or figures. Any horizontal band that is occupied with sculpture is called a frieze by some writerms.

Topical Outlines Nave's Bible Topics International Standard Bible Encyclopedia Online King James Bible King James Dictionary

Verse reference tagging and popups powered by VerseClick™.