Fleming, Thomas (2), Dd
Fleming, Thomas (2), D.D.
a Scotch clergyman, a native of Kirkmichael, was educated at the parishschool of Blairgowrie, at the grammar-school, Perth, and at the universities of St. Andrews and Edinburgh. He became tutor to Robert Haldane, of Airthrey, and his brother, who were the founders of the Tabernacle Church; was licensed to preach November 5, 1777; called March 4 to the living at Kirkmichael, and ordained April 29, 1779; transferred to Kenmore July 4, 1780, and presented to the living by the earl of Breadalbane; promoted to Kirkcaldy by George III, in July 1788; transferred to Lady, Yester's Chapel of Ease in Edinburgh, April 17, 1806, and died July 19, 1824, aged seventy years. He was characterized by enlightened piety, holy deportment, the diligent discharge of public and private duty, and the strenuous opposition he gave to infidelity and vice. The benevolent institutions of Edinburgh reaped much advantage from his friendly counsels and aid; he gave particular attention to the affairs of George Heriot's Hospital, the Orphan Hospital, the Elinburg Education Society, and the Christian Knowledge Society. He published three single Sermons (1790-1809): — Sermons (Edinburgh, 1826): — A Remarkable Agitation of the Waters of Loch Tay (Trans. Royal Soc. Edinb.): — An Account of the Parish of Kirtkcaldy: — Memoir of Robert Cathcart, Esq., of Drum. He translated the Shorter Catechism into Gaelic, and assisted in revising the translation of the Scriptures into Gaelic. See Fasti Eccles. Scoticanae, 1:64; 2:516, 804, 824.