Eyre, John a minister of the Church of England, was born at Bodmin, Cornwall, January, 1754. He had a good elementary education, and at fifteen was bound apprentice to a clothier. Before the termination of his apprenticeship he embraced a religious life, and on returning to his father's house he commenced holding public religious meetings. His father was offended at this, and drove him from his house. He was soon after admitted into lady Huntingdon's College at Trevecca, and in 1778 he was appointed minister to her chapel at Mulberry Gardens, London. In the same year he entered Emmanuel College, Oxford, and in December, 1779, he was made curate of Weston. In 1781 he became curate of St. Giles's, Reading, and in 1782 of St. Luke's, Chelsea. In 1785 he became pastor of the Episcopal chapel at Homerton, and opened a school there, which became very successful. He was very popular as a preacher, free from bigotry, and active in all schemes of benevolence. The Evangelical Magazine and the London Missionary were originated and for a time edited by him. From the profits of the Evangelical Magazine between twenty and thirty thousand pounds were paid out for the support of widows of ministers of various denominations. He eas also one of the founders of the London Missionary Society (q.v.), of the scheme of "Village Itinerancy," and of the Hackiney Seminary for theological training. After a life of earnest piety and usefulness, he died March 28, 1803. — Morison, Missionary Fathers, page 9.