Ewing, Greville, Dd
Ewing, Greville, D.D.
a Scotch clergyman, was born in Edinburgh in 1767; educated at the highschool; apprenticed to an engraver, but when of age studied theology at Edinburgh University; became tutor to the family of Mr. Lockhart, of Castle Hill; was licensed to preach September 5, 1792, and his talents made him popular from the first. He was nominated by the trustees as minister of lady Glenorchy's chapel, Edinburgh, in June 1792, and ordained colleague in October 1793. Aided by Robert Haldane, Esq., he proposed to organize a select company for propagating the gospel in Bengal, but the East India Company was hostile to the movement. He established the Missionary
Magazine for Scotland, the first religious periodical in that country. He resigned his charge, December 26, 1798; became minister to a large congregation at the Tabernacle, Glasgow, in May 1799, under the auspices of Mr. Haldane, and presided over a seminary for training pious young men for the ministry for two and a half years with considerable success. Differences having arisen with Mr. Haldane, he resigned, and in 1811 became senior tutor to a new theological seminary belonging to the Congregational Union, and continued to discharge the duties with praiseworthy fidelity till obliged by debility to resign. He died August 2, 1841. He published five single Sermons; several controversial works; A Greek Grammar, and Greek and English Scripture Lexicon (Edinb. 1802, 1812): — Facts and Documents respecting the Connections between Robert Haldane and Greville Ewing (1809): — An Essay on Baptism (1823): — Memoir of Barbara Ewing (1829), with many smaller works. See Fasti Eccles. Scoticanae, 1:80, 81.