England, John a Roman Catholic prelate, was born in Cork, Ireland, September 23, 1786, and was educated at Carlow. He was ordained priest October 9, 1808, and appointed lecturer at the North Chapel in Cork, and chaplain of the prisons. In May, 1808, he began the publication of a monthly magazine called The Religious Repertory. He was made president of the theological college of St. Mary in 1812, and in 1817 parish priest at Brandon; 1820, was appointed bishop of the new diocese of Charleston, S.C., where he established an academy and theological seminary, and taught in both of them. He went to Rome in 1832, and was appointed by the pope apostolic legate to Hayti. He died at Charleston, April 11, 1842. Bp. England founded several religious and charitable institutions at Cork, and left a number of writings, most of which appeared in the periodical press. A complete edition of his works was prepared by bishop Reynolds (Baltimore, 1849, 5 volumes, 8vo).